Monday, March 11, 2013

The Importance of Time-Folk Magazine's Community Journal Challenge


The importance of time took on a whole new meaning for me in November of 2010. It was an ordinary evening when I got a call from the local hospital. My mom had been in a car accident and I needed to get to the hospital as quickly as possible. At first time seemed to slow to a crawl as I went through the motions of making phone calls, talking to the police, and kissing my mom goodbye before they flew her to a bigger hospital. Then time seemed to come to a complete halt. How could life be going on around me when someone I loved was losing theirs?
Via Tumblr

The next few days seemed like a bad dream as my mom came in and out of consciousness.  We were slowly finding out the details of the accident and were angered to hear that the other driver never even hit his brakes as he sped through the stop sign. He had no license, no insurance, and no remorse. My anger only grew as the days went by and we noticed that something was wrong with my mom's memory. It was like a stab in the heart. How cruel to take away someone's memories! We tried showing her pictures and giving detailed descriptions, but it didn't matter. It was like she was never there. All that time was just erased.
Via Tumblr

While we mourned the time lost, we were also rejoicing over the time she was given. After all, it was a miracle that she survived. We have all been given the gift of time and should celebrate that every day. I try hard not to dwell on the past or worry about the future. My time is precious and I want to spend it doing things that I enjoy or influences others in a positive way. Memories of our time are important, but I now feel that the happiness we feel during those moments are far more important. I hope you enjoy your gift of time today, I know I will.

*If you would like to take part in Folk Magazine's Community Journal Challenge, you can check it out here.
Pin It!

No comments:

Post a Comment